Tuesday, January 18, 2011

HOMEWORK

Go to fullsize image1. How much does water expand?
The water expanded from .5 cm to 1 cm

2. When is water the smallest? At what temperature?
Water is smallest when it is at liquid form at room temperature.

3. What happen when salt is added to the water?
When salt is added it takes a lot longer to completely freeze.

4. Does the amount of salt added effect the freezing point? YES!
              a.) a lot of salt?
              b.) a little salt?
It seemed as though the more salt the longer it takes for the water to completely freeze into ice.



1 cup of water           
1 cup of water w/1 tsp of salt
1 cup water w/ 1 TBSP of salt
Freezing temp
0C
Less than 0 C
Less than 0C
Freezing Duration
3 hours
More than 9 hours
More than 9 hours
Expansion
.5 cm
1 cm
1 cm












Observation: I started out the experiment with 3 clear glasses, I put 1 cup of water in each glass; in 1 glass I added1 teaspoon of table salt, in another I added 1 tablespoon of table salt. The starting temperature of the water was roughly room temperature at 20 C. I then placed the glasses of water outside to freeze. After 1 hour I noticed all three glasses were starting to form a thin rim of ice on top. After 3 hours the glass that had only water was completely frozen. The ice looked rough and crackled on the inside as though air bubbles made an explosion effect. Measuring the ice, the water expanded about a half a cm. After 9 hours the two glasses with salt did not completely freeze, there was about 1 cm of water at the bottom of each glass. In the glass were I added 1 tablespoon of salt the salt gathered on the bottom of the glass. The frozen part of the ice where water was added was almost crystallized on top and froze relatively evenly compared to the glass with only water in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment