Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ACTIVITY 1 - Scientific Method

If my car didn't start I would listen to any specific noises that the car is making or any smells that are coming off the car. I would then call a mechanic and describe what I am seeing, hearing and or smelling. With the mechanic we would formulate the possible issue from the surrounding the circumstances. I would bring my car into the shop where they would try and fix my car, if it still didn't work they would try sometime else until the issue was resolved. The outcome, a car that works and a empty wallet!

Steps of the Scientific Method:
  • Observe - observe your surrondings
  • Ask a question - formulate a question that you are wondering
  • Formulate a hypothesis - think of what might happen
  • Test your hypothesis - test your theory
  • Analysis your findings - draw a conclusion
  • Report your results - document your results, in case you have to try again
Relate the scientific process to the experiment that you performed on surfaces and liquids:
The experiment that I performed on surfaces and liquids ties into the scientific method because I was unsure of what the outcome would be on some of the liquid and surface combinations. For other combinations, from experience, I had an idea of what would occur; for example if I put oil on aluminum, the oil would simply stick and the droplets would stay in place. However, for the liquid and surface combinations that I didn't know, I mentally guessed what I thought would happen, then actually performed the experiment, observed the reaction and documented my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment