1. pictures of observations - see post entitled homework January 11, 2011
2. collected data - see post entitled homework January 11, 2011
3. data in a graph/plot/table
4. conclusions based on data related to the molecular attractions and/or repulsions of the various chemicals or materials observed.
Liquid / Surface | Movement | No Movement | Smooth Edges | Rough Edges |
Water / Aluminum | X | X | ||
Water / Saran wrap | X | X | ||
Water / Glass | X | X | ||
Water / Paper plate | X | X | ||
Vegetable oil/ Glass | X | X | ||
Vegetable oil / Plastic | X | X | ||
Vegetable oil / Aluminum | X | X | ||
Tequila / Aluminum | X | X | ||
Tequila / Glass | X | X | ||
Tequila / Plastic | X | X | ||
Tequila / Wax paper | X | X |
Conclusion:
Going into the liquid and surface experiment, I knew that different types of liquid would react differently upon contact of different surfaces; however I just didn't know to what extent. Through experimenting I concluded that the liquids that I tested when placed on a waxy surface or plastic were consistent with raised, smooth edged droplets and had no movement. The most surprising result was that of Tequila on glass. I hypothesised that because of its density and appearance that it would react similar to that of water. I was wrong. When placing several drops of Tequila on glass, the reaction was instant; the Tequila immediately started thinning out expanding towards the other droplets until eventually completely combining to one. The only other substance that combined droplets was vegetable oil on glass. The edges on the droplets of Tequila also had a rough appearance to them, unlike water. When I placed droplets of water on glass, the droplets thinned out but not in the direction towards the other droplets, they thinned out more evenly. The water droplets also had a more smoother edge to them. I'm assuming the Tequila must have reacted differently due to the chemical substances with it attracting to one another in a way that it was able to move on the glass. I didn't observe the Tequila reacting in such a way on any other surface that I tested.
No comments:
Post a Comment