Going into this experiment I knew that when water freezes it expands, I just didn't know to what extent and how the salt water would react. With my experiment, I did try to measure the expansion of the water, by using a clear glass and measuring it before and after it was frozen. I thought I had good data, but didn't take into account the variables of my equipment. My glasses weren't straight cylinders but was narrower at the bottom and widened at the top. This would make the results from my expansion data inconclusive because I didn't take into account the change in the width of the glass. I was surprised to see from my classmates results that were shared in class that the salt water in her experiment expanded to 3.4cm on her 3rd observation and then lowered to 3.3cm by her 4th observation. This may be due to the water not being completely frozen during her 3rd observation.
Relate your thoughts on this experiment to the scientific question "Is the earth warming?"
No comments:
Post a Comment